Monday, September 10, 2007

major changes

ektokids will be experiencing a major overhaul in the next few weeks.


the concept of ektokids is being retooled and I'd like to notify all of you guys first.



We are still publishing the first issue as planned. A limited edition of 50 full color copies will be produced under the name: Cowboy Comics. Each member will recieve three copies and the rest will be archived and mailed to art directors as a catalog of student work. Your names and emails will be included.

The gallery is still happening but the content is in the air.

Why am I doing this?


I want to start off by saying you all made amazing, beautiful work. I had compliment after compliment about amazing you guys are. You all really came through and I'm going to make sure we all have something in our hands by October.


The thing is, this was my first attempt at anything like this. It was extremely successful, I believe, and I had fun seeing all the work roll in, but in the end, the concept I feel was a bit flawed on my end. I feel like the idea doesn't tread any new ground and is too safe.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the idea can be pushed about a thousand times further.


Does this mean the end for Ektokids? Not at all.
Ektokids is still the focus of my thesis and all of my energy and time. I just want to start with a clean slate and make a cohesive series of magazines and I feel the cowboy issue just won't fit.


What will become of Ektokids now? Whats going to be different?

The main ideas I want to focus on with the new Ektokids are:

Community:
I believe we should still be working as a collective and showing off ideas, but I'd like to have meetings and more collaborative efforts.

Anonymity:
I don't want anyone to know who we are. I know this might be a sore point because most of us are illustrators but I feel its important for the focus to be on the art and not on us. I want to be able to have someone like Dan Krall produce a piece and never admit to making it. I want it to feel more like a hive mind and i feel we can be freer to collaborate or throw in shitty drawings without having to worry about our public image.

More Diverse:
I'd like to include different artists that don't do illustrations, I want to contact people over the internet for submissions, I'd like to get Paul Pope to draw a piece of candycorn and publish it. I want the medium its distributed in to not always be comic form. I'd like to distribute CD issues or Floppy Disks. I'd like to hand a issue out to only a 2nd grade classroom in the suburbs. I want to get crazier.

there are other ideas of have, but for the most part, these are the major changes.

I'm sorry if anyone feels I'm letting them down. I've thought a long time about this though.

You are all still welcome to keep producing pieces and I really hope you all are still excited about this magazine. Nothing else has changed. I still want a community of artists working to produce some sweet shit for fun and exposing it to the public.

if you have any questions or suggestions, I'll be happy to answer.


David

5 comments:

Bagel Han said...

It's going to take some time for me to get used to the whole idea about being anonymous. Still not sure about that, though I do understand what you're trying to do... sort of..
Other than that, I'm excited about everything else. Much better.
And I like the solution you cam eup with for the work we already did, very smart.

Jude Uzcategui said...

Whatever you need to do, you can count on me. About the anonymity (is that a word?), one question: Do you oversee any copyright problems in the future? For example, someone sees a piece they like in the magazine, and since it has no name, takes it & uses it without permission, ect..
what I'm saying, is there a way to protect our (shitty/ non shitty) work and still be anonymous??
Can we still use the pieces we give you for our self promotion even though they're supposed to be anonymous?
Are your plans for the website still standing?

Im not trying to drill on you, just had a couple of questions...
Overall, I'm cool with the changes, just let me know what you need from me and you got it.

Bagel Han said...

What Judith said

Andrea said...

you know david. We talked about this, and I agree that Ektokids could go a lot further, but the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I become with some of the things you mentioned. You should definitely go for what you want where your thesis is concerned, but for me, the fun of ektokids was all of us getting together and doing work, and I know that hasn't worked as well as we wanted but as far as all the performance stuff you mentioned and even the anonomous aspect, I just don't like it as much.

Honestly, I'm not as excited about it anymore. I still want to be a part of ektokids, but I guess I just am unsure about where it's going now. I kinda want to talk about it.

yana & tj said...

im just starting to read through all the posts and am really enjoying the artwork.

reading about the collaboration and collective idea i was wondering if anyone who makes awesome artwork can get involved or if it a select group of y'all.

ottebya@gmail.com